There are times when your business can get monotonous. Investing in real estate is no different. As exciting as closing a deal is, the process of getting to that point can wear on you if you are not careful. With monotony comes boredom and boredom drags your business down. As a way of fighting monotony, you should switch your routine up every few months. By completely changing the way you do things, you keep your business fresh and exciting. Instead of going through the day bored and uninspired, something as easy as changing the time you have your morning coffee can make all the difference. Here are a few ways you can change your everyday routine for the better.
- Wake Up Earlier. One of the great things about being a real estate investor is that there is nobody looking over your shoulder telling you what to do and where to be. This can also be one of the worst if you are not careful. There is a certain amount of discipline needed to be a successful investor. If you want to change your routine, change the time you start your day. The old expression that the early bird catches the worm certainly applies to the real estate world. By starting your day even an hour earlier, you will be surprised at how much more work you get done. Even if you don’t wake up and immediately start working, your mind and body are in a different place. In a perfect world, you would get up between 6 and 6:30 and set up everything you want to get done for the day. You will be shocked at just how many people have started working by 7AM.
- Make A Schedule. Does your typical day have order and structure to it? Do you know where you want to be and when? If the answer is yes, you are ahead of the game. If not, your day is probably filled with chaos and a lack of productivity. One of the best ways to change your routine is by making lists. This list will be your guide of what to do throughout your day. Every time you are struggling with what to do next, your list points you in the right direction. Instead of simply making a to do list, you should start with the most important task first and work from there. Too many people will put the easiest things they can find just to feel a sense of accomplishment. The goal is not to be busy, but to be productive. By tackling what you really need to get done first, you set up the rest of your day. Don’t procrastinate and wait for the right time to get this done. Jump right into it with your first task of the morning.
- Dedicated Technology Time. Checking and responding to emails is an important part of any business. What can happen if you are not careful is that checking emails leads to checking social media sites. We have all been guilty of getting lost in these sites for longer than we should. Before you know it, thirty minutes can quickly turn to an hour and an hour turns into two. One way to cure this, is by changing how and when you use your technology. Set up dedicated times for checking emails and other sites. Check and respond to emails as soon as you wake up and then give yourself a half hour in the morning and another half hour in the afternoon. If there is truly a matter that is urgent, you will probably get a text message or phone call. Everything can fit in your dedicated blocks. By doing this, you will find that you will be much more efficient in your day and have far fewer distractions.
- Change How You Eat. Human beings need to eat to survive. This is not breaking news here. What humans don’t need to do, is treat every lunch like it is the last one they will ever have. If lunch is the centerpiece of your day, you need to change the way you eat. There is nothing wrong with eating lunch by your laptop every now and then. Eating out is certainly necessary at times, but it can also clog your whole day. Not only does it take up time but also, it can leave you lethargic and listless. Having lunch is obviously important, but it doesn’t need to be the most important thing you do every day.
- Get In An Hour Of Work At Night. If you work hard during the day, you should feel spent when you get home. Everyone needs time to decompress and focus on other aspects of your life. However if you can sit down in front of a TV for three hours, you should consider doing a little work. Even if you work only during commercials ,you will still get things accomplished. Of course it is better to just block off an hour to get things done, but something is better than nothing. By working for a little bit at night, you will get a jump on the next day. You can write down things you need to get done and projects on the horizon. A little bit of direction at night can go a long way.
Changing your routine every now and then can make your business feel fresh and new. It can provide you with motivation and a different way of looking at things. Instead of making big changes to your business, start by tweaking your daily routine.